- No flying in controlled airspace without Air Traffic Control Authorization. * See next section, this probably doesn’t mean what you think it means.
- No flying over people.
- Only fly during daylight. 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes and after sunset is allowed.
- Stay less than 400 feet from the ground. Some exceptions apply, like if you’re flying beside a 100 foot building, you may be able to fly up to 400 feet above that 100 foot base.
- Fly within line of sight. This means you can see the drone at all times. Using binoculars or a live camera feed doesn’t count.
- There are also some other restrictions like no flying from a moving vehicle unless you’re in the middle of nowhere, and limits on cargo the drone can carry, but these probably don’t affect you if you’re a journalist flying for a story.
FAA Educational Use of Drones
Bookmark the permalink.